Old 04-17-08, 11:57 AM
skiracing

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR 2 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelalanjone
I am sure people know how I feel, as a person who crashed his unhelmeted head into the sidewalk 20 years ago. Been wearing a helmet since that day, and why wouldn't you? For the same reason people don't wear seat belts - the freedom to become a vegetable and a burden to others!

Don't you want to protect the second most important piece of cycling gear? [hint: Your brain!]

Hey, I know it takes a long time to get your hair just right, you wouldn't want to mess it up with a helmet (or a pool of blood).
Luckily I never got to experience that.... I've biked for ages without a helmet and never had any bad hits on the head.... have had some bad bike crashes but never hit my head. Last summer I got a road bike and continued without using a helmet. Then in the Fall I gave in and got it... I ski with a helemt, might as well bike with one too. It ain't that bad.... it was a personal choice to get it; to those ppl who are super against it, I just think you gotta put in on and once you do a lot of your hesitation will disappear.

Why was I against helemts before? Mostly cause I associated them with ppl who are riding a bike at a whooping 5 km/h and wearing a helmet in a way that is probably endangering them more than protecting (straps loose, helemt too big, either sitting on their forehead or covering the eyes)... so I associated the item with those ppl. Nothing has changed, I still think they are dorks!