Old 10-04-04, 07:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by MHardman
Hi everyone im currently in my last year of university and Im currently carrying out my stupid disertation research into New Labours Transport Policies concerning cycling.

Part of my research invovles interviewing cyclists so If you would be kind enough to answer a few questions (see below) I would be most grateful.

Thanks Mike
Name
John Eldon

How often do you use your bike?
several times / week

Why do you use your bike?
recreation, transportation, exercise

What is it that you enjoy about cycling?
freedom, mechanicals, exercise, aesthetics, efficiency

How safe do you feel cycling on the roads within your local borough?
reasonably

Have you noticed any significant differences/changes in other road users attitudes towards you when cycling on the roads in your local borough?
Some motorists have become more aggressive or rude, but no strong trend.

Have you noticed any changes in road design/layout over the years?
Bike lanes have become more common in some areas, have been deleted in others.

Do you see these changes as a step forward for encouraging more people onto their bikes or a hindrance?
Bike lanes are controversial, but they can help calm traffic and encourage more cycling, if properly designed and implemented.

How confident are you when it comes to riding amongst other road users – e.g. cars, motorbikes, buses lorries and so on?
I am confident of MY skills, but I do have some reservations about the skills of a small percentage of motorists. This is by far my greatest safety concern.

What suggestion for changes would you want to see being made to the current road networks in your local borough?
Calm traffic at high-speed free merges and diverges.

How cycle friendly would you say the current situation is on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest?
In my city, 4. In the surrounding county, 3.

How would you describe your day-to-day experiences of riding in the roads?
Usually pleasant and uneventful.

Have you or any other cyclists, cycling organisations, cycling clubs in your area been involved in council plans to improve the roads?
Yes, several times.

If ‘no’. Would you like to see the council getting the people directly affected by these changes involved more, basically would like to have a say in providing for cyclists in the future?
I have suggested that our (citizen volunteer) traffic commission should include at least one advocate for cyclists and pedestrians.

What would you like to see happen in the future?
Greater education of all road users. Greater individual accountability for all road users, particularly motorists. Improved transportation options for those who cannot or should not drive.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069