View Single Post
Old 04-18-08, 10:57 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I started out bicycle touring, mainly because I was both completely manic about cycling and too damned slow to succeed at racing. Started with whatever I had at the time and finally toured for years on a World Voyageur with first generation Cannondale luggage (back in the days when they only made luggage).

Got my first motorcycle, saw the immediate possibilities, took what I'd learned from cycle touring and transferred it over. Spent the next 25+ years doing all my long distance travel with a three bag setup on a motorcycle: BMW, Kawasaki and primarily (to this day) Triumph.

Got back into cycling and immediately embarked on three projects: The first bike to just get back into shape (did it's job and it's now a fixie), a modern road bike to pick up the 28 years of missed technology (9-speed Fuji Finest), and a serious touring bike in memory of that Voyageur. Ended up with two, the vintage/retro Magneet, and the heavy duty Bianchi Nyala.

Still love motorcycle touring, love bicycle touring, am bored to tears doing anything of those kinds of distances in an automobile.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)