View Single Post
Old 04-19-08, 11:10 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
I'm pushing 60, and I tend to pick a gear and stick with it. On climbs, I time my shifts. I think most folks would agree that you are actually a bit faster with DT shifters, because you tend to muscle through, instead of wimping out.
That's ridiculous. Maximising your effort through proper gear ratio is not "wimping out", and it's going to be faster and more efficient than building up lactic acid by pushing too large a gear or redlining by spinning one too small. That's why a close ratio 10 speed cluster operated from the bars is such an ideal tool for racing or hard riding.

You know it's ok to like and ride old bikes for what they are. Comparing them to modern race bikes is a complete waste of time. If you do not appreciate modern technology you are probably not riding hard enough for it to matter. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Feeling superior to "dumb rich guys on carbon Nagos that you pass on your Varsity", is starting to sound like a classic & vintage urban legend and should be filed under, "guys who race guys who don't know they are racing".