Old 04-21-08, 04:06 PM
daodedick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help - Chain vs Chainring not right size?

BFSSFG readers,

I've tried searching the forum and the internet but I can't find anything on this. I ordered a 1/8" Sugino chainring and also a 1/8" SRAM PC-1 chain from Jenson. They both claim 1/8" on their packaging. But for some reason the chain is too narrow for the ring - the chain won't fit fully down into the valleys. Now, Jenson's customer service has been pretty cool and they've sent me a replacement chain saying that the PC-1 isn't totally 1/8". However, I received their replacement chain and it still doesn't work. I took some measurements - it seems that the SRAM chain is 1/8" but that the Sugino chainring is more like 5/32" or at least wider than 1/8". I need some opinions so that Jenson doesn't send me another chain thinking it's the chain that is out of tolerance.

What do you guys think:
1) chain is too narrow - meaning < 1/8"
2) chainring is too wide - meaning > 1/8"
3) combination of both

And, if it is the chainring that is too wide, should I just file it down or should I send it back?

And again, Jenson has been cool about it with trying to fix the problem, but I think the problem is either at SRAM or Sugino - maybe a bad batch.

Thanks for any inputs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG1731.JPG (55.9 KB, 44 views)
CIMG1733.JPG (69.8 KB, 28 views)
CIMG1736.JPG (74.2 KB, 26 views)
CIMG1737.JPG (73.5 KB, 39 views)