View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 10:17 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichardNoggin
I do mostly long distance cycling. I probably average about 150 m per week and do as 1-2 centuries a month. planning on doing STP in a day 205m. What cadence do you all use. I have read the articles talking about 85-95 cadence being optimal. Is this for everything? or just road racing. I just got a cadence meter and was suprised that my cadence is lower, prob 70-80 range when I feel comfortable. 85-95 makes me feel like my legs will spin off. Should I just keep pushing forward to see if i can get to that level and get used to it or do what feels comfortable. I am a big muscular rider at about 6, 2" and 215lb. Does this way into equation?
When you're riding, you can sustain a given amount of force in your legs for a given amount of time. If you ride lightly, you can ride forever, if you ride at a medium level, you can ride for a couple hours, and if you ride really hard, you might burn your legs out in 10 minutes.

If you and I are riding together, you at 70 RPM and me at 100 RPM, when you're pedalling, you'll be pressing about 40% harder than me, and so assuming we have the same strength profiles, I'll be able to ride that pace a lot longer.

Or, to put it another way, if you were able to learn to ride at 100 RPM, you would be pressing a lot easier and your legs wouuld be much less tired on longer rides.

That sounds great, doesn't it? So, what are the downsides?

1) First, you have to spend time training yourself to ride at a higher cadence.
2) Second, you will tend to get more out of breath at a higher cadence than a lower one, *especially* when you first start.
3) You can generally ride faster at a slower cadence than your maximum, though you can't do it as long.

If you want to work on it, here's what you do:

Cadence drill:

At a comfortable cadence on a flat/slight incline, increase your cadence slowly over 30 seconds until you reach your maximum. Hold it for 30 seconds, and then spend 30 seconds slowing down. Repeat 3-4 times. If you start to bounce, slow down. After you've done this a couple of times, increase the time at maximum to 60 seconds. I generally did this once or twice a week.

One-legged drill:

On a trainer or on a flat empty road in a light gear, unclip one leg, and ride with that leg for 30 revs. Clip in and ride with both for 30 revs, then clip out on the other side. Repeat this 2-3 times or until you get tired. I'll usually do this once a week or so.

Both of these are going to feel really weird when you are first start doing them, as you have to change how your muscles are used to firing.

After a few weeks, you should see some decent improvement. I went from 90ish to being able to ride at 110RPM for as long as I want, and my top has gone from about 110RPM to 150RPM.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com