cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Victory Over DeSeat-post

Perhaps some of you fellows remember my acquisition of a poor condition 25" 1976 Schwinn Voyageur II last year - or if not last year, sometime roughly a year to two years ago. Those of you who do remember might recall a "traditional" seized aluminum seatpost plauging the machine.

Well, when it comes down to stuck seatposts, I don't allow them to get the better of me - particularly if it is a forged post w/a micro adjuster.

This said, after a combined total time of about two weeks (off and on, of course) of ammonia, Marvel Mystery Oil, ice, and unbelievable brute force to get that post to spin in the tube, I have a nice little success story to brighten up all those stuck seatpost threads:

It may look like a NR post, but it is some form of Japanese copy. 26.6mm:

[B]Note the oxidation at the bottom of the post caused by the reaction between the steel and the aluminum. At the widest point of the oxidation, the post measures 26.9 in diameter. Just over 2mm additional in diameter (tad over 1mm in thickness, when all is said and done). Pretty much explains why this post, even after having been spun (quite forcefully) 360 degress in the frame, remained jammed pretty tight regardless of force.

May this be a warning to all who care about VLW's: Grease all handlebar stems and seatposts when installing in steel or aluminum frames.

This said, I once saw an East HillŪ sized, 650c Litespeed in the back of one shop, being vigorously attacked with a seatpost reamer by one of the shop repairman. Sure enough, jammed in that frame was an un-greased aluminum seatpost. We know why, eh?

How sweet is victory...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-22-08 at 08:25 PM.