Old 10-06-04, 12:57 PM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hemlock,
I live in New Orleans so our climates are about the same. Because we have so little, my first year or two of commuting I over dressed for cold weather before I kind of got things dialed in. Here's more or less my "cold" weather regimen. You guys from Minnesota don't laugh!
60 and below - keep knees warm with knee warmers or knickers
As needed add arm warmers
As needed add chest warmth. This could be a fleece vest which provides chest protection while allowing some air circulation, avoiding perspiration. But I have found that even a fleece vest causes some back perspiration so what I actually do is use rectangles of fleece material under my jersey for torso warmth. Kind of like the pros stick newspapers under their vests to prepare for a cold descent. This seems perfect. Keeping the front warm without causing perspiration in the back. I add layers as needed. Once I get to 3 layers it is time for the fleece vest and layers as needed.

If it seems too cool for a fleece vest and a couple of the fleece layers I add a wind vest.

The beauty of the fleece fabric layers is that if you start getting warm you can just pull one out and stick it in a jersey pocket to avoid overheating. It is better to be a little cool than to overheat and perspire which could cause a chill.

My legs are pretty much fine with the knicks, though if it gets below freezing I add layers of the same fleece fabric in front of my knees under the knicks. Again, works great keeping knees warm without causing perspiration. All last year it did not get cold enough to need tights. The lower legs just don't feel the cold very much at, say, 30F.
For hands I was lucky enough to pick up some waterproof fleece gloves and convertable mitts, the kind that flip back off the fingers if needed. These are great. I got oversized ones so I can wear them over cycling gloves.

In cooler weather I also always keep my goretex rain jacket in a pannier in case I have to change a flat or if it turns out to be colder than I thought. It's not good to get warm then have to stop in the cold for a while to change a flat. I have pulled it out a couple of times when I made a turn and found myself facing a cold headwind.

Hope this helps.