will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day three. Wednesday April 23, 2008.
Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, AZ.
This desert is very dry and hot. It presents challenges for people who have not done touring in this type of weather.
I bike in Florida on one bottle of water per hour. Not here. You need at least a bottle plus replace the electrolytes. Thanks for the Accelerade Web site from Wildwood. I also checked with our tour leader and he said it is OK in moderation.
One experienced over 50+ rider lost concentration and fell hard. He lost consciousness for over one hour and was transported to a Hospital by Helicopter. Sorry to say that the tour is over for him.
Perhaps this is a good place to post the diet I follow. I do not claim great insight but it seems to work.
Remember what you wish for is not necessarily what is available.

Breakfast: Double Oatmeal and two Pancakes.
Every hour of riding I add some energy bar such as Oats and Honey.
Lunch at SAG: Look for salty food. Several pickles. Sandwich with cheese and honey or jelly. Fig bars and bananas.
Recovery drink right after end of ride is Milkshake, large.
Dinner is Steak and Veggies and potatoes and breads and salad.
Drink water ice tea and a few Beers in the evening. Gatorade and now Water with Accelerade.

One very positive note: I got Bontrager Hardcase tires. The road contact area is black with red on both sides. That is a good thing to see any objects in the tire such as wires from Steel Belted Radials.
Long story short: No flats yet.
More tomorrow.

Last edited by will dehne; 04-24-08 at 05:54 AM.