View Single Post
Old 04-24-08, 12:58 PM
JOHN J

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im not a randonneur, but will add my thoughts.

Ive been toying with platform pedals for a bit now and do belive they may be a better way to go for 95% of my riding than clipping in.

Im currently using speedplay frogs and do like them (favorite clipless to date) Ive had Look , time and shimano spd in the past (all still in parts box)

also used to do alot of offroad riding and used BMX platform pedals with good results.

I went to florida last week and took my single speed to cruise around with, I installed crank bros 50/50 pedals on it anyway I did a 26 mile ride on a very windy night with the platforms and CROCS Yes crocs and it was fine my time was good too, though crocs are a bit soft a bit stiffer shoe would be better (lots of options there). SO**********

I also was badly hurt last year with my frogs when I was riding behind a bus in traffic , I stopped when it stopped at a red light, when it moved i clipped in and then the bus stopped almost right away to let someone off within seconds , I couldnt get out of my pedals fast enough and twisted My ankle /lower leg pretty bad , also had the same whan a car shot out of a bank without looking I had to put the bike down OUCH.

I also realy like the idea of any shoe will do, often I dont do fun rides esp at night (my commute /LD bike has a schmidt) I often wont go on fun rides cuz I dont want to dig out the bike shoes.

Im going to put the 50/50s on my custom marinoni frame when it comes in at the end of the month and give the platforms a real good try on my 19mile one way commute which has 379 feet of climb on the way home.

ill bet they will be fine, if yes I may just use the frogs for group rides so I wont be considered a Fred

"John"