Old 04-25-08, 08:18 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
On-the-road bike updates via email/bike journal

I will soon be leaving for a 4-week tour in France. I am trying to design a way to send updates from the road to a list of people via email and, at the same time, have these updates stored in order and available at biketouringtips.com so that anyone can read them. In all my past bike tours, this is how I've kept in touch. I always create my tour journals after I get back. I know that I could create a tour journal at crazyguyonabike.com but I prefer to put my journal on my own website.

I was wondering if this is something that other people would be interested in? The system I am writing will only work for me, at present. But, with a bit more effort (after I get back from France) I could generalize the system.

Here are my thoughts on how such a system would work: The journals would look like all the other entries at www.biketouringtips.com. Each email you sent would appear as a comment to the original entry (the entire set of updates would make up a single entry). The email would go to people whose email addresses you specified. I also like the idea that anyone (registered at the site) could add their email address to the list of people who get sent your update emails. The end result would be that you could easily send email to a list of people from the road, have those emails collected into trip report, and add the email addresses of people you meet as you are touring. What's more, people could add comments to this report, as well (registering would be required for this).

Is this the kind of thing that anyone would be interested in using? If so, can you think of any other features that you would like to have?

By the way, send me a PM with your email address (it wont' be used for anything else) if you'd like to get on the email list I am creating for my trip updates from France.

Thanks,

Ray