Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
What's the object of these clipless pedals? Are they something of use to a pro but actually bad for the casual cyclist? It sems to me that if the object of these devices is to increase efficiency (I'm assuming) they aren't working for many people and are actually creating inefficiency rather than efficiency. Like broken arms, that's pretty inefficient.
It's not inefficiency, it's inexperience--both with using the pedals/cleats and as a cyclist overall. As I always say to someone just starting out, "You will fall. Count on it. And if you're afraid to fall, sell your bike now--before you fall and scratch it."

But to answer your question, they do increase efficiency dramatically. And what some people forget is there was a time when pulling out of a pedal could be far more disastrous than not being able to unclip. I've seen that happen too many times during a race's final sprint. It's happened to me, but not ever with clipless. (Whew! Good to get rid of that menace.) With a little practice (and a couple of falls), you'll find today's pedals easier to both get into and out of than toe clips. Moreso, getting out of them in an emergency is far easier and faster than with the old toe clips.