View Single Post
Old 10-07-04, 09:40 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with 3x lacing for anything off-road. Radially lacing is o.k. if you are light and ride on-road. Off road riding produces too many tangential forces on the rims.

I don't see the purpose of 2x. I mean if you are going to go radially, then go radially. If you are going to cross spokes, go with 3x. It's the best pattern for strength and the weight difference is almost negligible.

I like Velocity rims. I'm also a big fan of Mavic rims. From a builder's point of view, they come perfectly round from the factory so it makes building them easier and stronger as all the spokes are equally tensioned and you don't fight an egg shaped wheel from the get-go.

I really like a set of CPX-33 laced with DT Revolution spokes to some quality hubs. American Classics, Phil Woods, Chris Kings....etc.

I've built up wheels using aluminum nipples for racers and honestly prefer brass. I'll acknowledge the theory that for downhill racing rims alloys are better because they'll break before ripping through the rim. That is analygous to 'Crumple Zones' for automobile design. You engineer into the product a weak point! Still, I use brass on all my personal wheels.

Sapim, DT and Wheelsmith are the only spokes I'll use. In that order of preference.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger