View Single Post
Old 04-29-08, 01:51 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My Raleigh Twenty/650c

Over the next n months I'll be boring the pants off you guys with morsels from my next build - a non-folding Raleigh Twenty frame I picked up for £4.99 GBP last year that's destined to become some sort of road-bike with possibly 650c (ISO 571mm) wheels, or if that's too tall and order, 559mm (MTB) or 520mm sized wheels.

So this will be the thread that I'll be adding stuff to as and when it happens. At present all I have done is source a 24" fork, grid off the bridges, stays and shorten the lower head-tube so the front of the bike doesn't get too high with bigger wheels. And remove the paint with a blow-lamp (thanks Jur!).

So here she is - naked as the day she was born up in Nottingham. Primer is just to stop the rust. I plan to get into the car-body filler next - smooth out a few of those seams, dings, scrapes... maybe even fair-in the bigger welds. Then it's component sourcing. I'm thinking period Campagnolo record at the moment, to turn her into a 7-speed derailleur fun-machine. Never really liked front derailleurs and seven is plenty I'm sure.

Once that's done it'll be time build some wheels (possibly in 'pursuit' style - 650 back, 520 front) and see where I need to get a new brake bridge brazed on. And also where to put the pesky tube-shifter. Then paint, possibly by yours truly if his 80s Devilbiss Airbrush can be coaxed into life, then clearcoat, build, ride, smile...

Of course - it won't be that easy or straightforward. It never is. I predict 68% of parts I find don't fit. That's what happened last time. Anyway - I hope you enjoy following the build. If I ever finish it...

Artist's impression(s) of possible finishes here: