View Single Post
Old 04-29-08, 06:37 PM
bryroth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help me out with a brake problem

Hello all - I finally bought my new bike, much thanks to advice I got on this forum. Well, the bike is new to me. It's a 2005 Kona Jake cyclocross bike that I bought used. It pretty much looks like a new bike and am told it has very low miles and has pretty much been sitting in a basement for a couple years.

When I bought it the tires were flat (back tube needed replacing) and the brakes and gears were loose (from disuse I assume). I dropped it off for a tune up and picked it up tonight. I should mention that although I very much want to learn how to tune up this bike myself, I just don't have the knowledge yet.

The components are all low-end, but passable stuff. Sora components and Avid Shorty 4 brakes. To me it is all bling because I'm not a pro. I thought I was stepping way up from my old bike. At least my old bike F-ing stopped.

So I just got back inside from what I thought was going to be a long first night of riding. Everything works great, except the stupid thing won't stop. The brake cables are tight, and if I really squeeze them there is plenty of room left between the brake levers and the bike handles. It's just that it feels like I'm pressing a hard piece of plastic (say, like a toothbrush handle) against the metal of my tire. It's like there is no friction.

What do I do? I want to enjoy my new bike but this is pretty much the one thing that I can't deal with. The streets around here are pretty busy.

Like I said before, I don't have much knowledge about the mechanics of bikes, I'm a noobie. I really would like to learn though. But I also spent my budget on the bike itself. Is this an expensive fix?

They are Avid Shorty 4 brakes. They also have the second pair of brakes on the front. Those are to help me transition from the apparently awesome mtn bike that I gave up for this.

That is all I know. Here is the bike: http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...3&parentid=182

ANY help is appreciated. Even if it is just to log on and hurl an insult or two!

Thanks in advance!

-B