View Single Post
Old 04-30-08, 12:36 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Invisible - if you're low enough, flipping isn't an issue, but getting that low requires more than a 40 inch wheelbase or you won't fit between the wheels. What you have to consider is the angle between the center of gravity and the front and rear axles. Get the line too steep and it doesn't take much acceleration/deceleration to lift the other wheel.
OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the additional detail.

Let me ask the (obvious) broad question then, suppose that I am looking for a do-it-all recumbent for commuting and the occasional fast-ride and I can dig up a maximum of $1500 or so dollars. What qualities am I looking for? I see small (.LT. 26") and large (.GE. 26") wheels. Short and long wheel base. Traditional and under-steering. Or are these simply preferences that one needs to test ride before buying?

I would almost certainly go used. I build wheels and generally tinker with bikes. I have a variety of accessories; but are there any particular commodities appropriate for recumbents?