will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day ten. Wednesday April 30, 2008.
Las Vegas, NM to Tucumcari, NM
We biked the 110 miles in 5.5 hrs because we had a strong wind from the back. Wind gusts were up to 50 MPH. This presents a challenge for guys like me who are not used to high speed biking.
Our star biker reached 62 MPH on a downhill passing me going 30 MPH. The wind gust were not always from behind but bounced of the cliffs and produced crosswind and scared the hell out of me.
We discussed that later at the Rap meeting and I asked him only one question: Are you married?
The answer was NO. I am imagining being send home to my wife with a broken back because of reckless biking.

I must advise potential CC candidates that there are two challenges and I do not think there is a way around it: Accidents and getting good nutrition.

I am not used to the poor quality food and at my age that causes issues. Tonight we had to eat at Pizza Hut because it was the only place within walking distance. It was not terrible but also not good if you are used to a healthy diet.

BTW, NM is very beautiful. I will get some pictures and post them soon.
The weather was sunny and stormy. I did not feel the sun and got burned. Back to Sunblock for tomorrow.

The road Rt. 104 from Las vegas to Tucumari is a very nice Bike Route. Not much traffic. Lots of big illuminated sign warning motorist about Cyclist. There are a few challenging hills going up as well as steep down. You will use all the gears. The 12/27 cassette came in handy.
More Tomorrow, Will Dehne