huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newb2008
I am about to get back into cycling after a VERY long time. After a long search, I was ready to get a hybrid bike this weekend with decent components at a price I can afford, with 26'' tires (NOT a mountain bike), till someone suggested that I might be happier with one that has 700C tires - as it will go faster with less pedaling/effort. I did not really try the skinnier tire bikes.

Now I am confused ... wondering if I should forget about the 26" wheel bike and start looking all over again for a 700c????

I would gain slightly better (quality) components buying my friend's 26 incher than I can otherwise afford, but I am wondering if that means huffing and puffing to keep up with others with 700c tires if we are riding together?

I expect most of the riding to be casual riding on paved trails, roads or sidewalks, with occasional non-paved/gravel use mixed in (e.g, when there is a break in the paved areas, *maybe* occasional soft trails etc).

Will the tires really make a big difference in terms on speed and efficiency, say using about 30 - 45 minutes worth of riding as a benchmark (that's what I expect to start with)?

Any advice will be very helpful and appreciated!

Thank you.
All things being equal, skinnier tires will offer less rolling resistance and will be faster, but all things are never equal. Gearing, aerodynamics, and weight all make a big difference. Perhaps you could let us know which bikes you are considering and then we could give you a better idea.