Old 10-09-04, 09:36 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by brianallan
I was considering taking a welding class or classes, at the university I attend. I don't now much about fabrication, but from what I gathered, they had a good variety of tools and machines available. There is also a smolting room. I'm not actually sure what the correct term is? There's a sand pit, etc..

anyway, I was curious as to if anyone knows much about frame fabrication. I think it would be so incredible if I could make a mold for a bottom tube/top tube/etc.. poor aluminum and weld a frame up.
I think it would be cool as heck to be able to construct your own frame! However, frame building goes far beyond measurements, angles and welding. It's almost like fine cabinetry, with an incredible amount of detail and planning before the torch is first lit.

Most of the equipment and materials you will need are available from established sources that sell to the builders. There is a forum for people who are builders or interesting in learning to build frames: http://frameforum.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

One of the best ways to learn what you are interested in doing would be to 'apprentice' yourself to a builder. Then you could see the exact steps needed in design, fabrication and finish of a frame that would be suitable and safe for you.

Good luck, and have fun!