View Single Post
Old 05-01-08, 08:33 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A two-mile uphill at 5-8 MPH? You've more patience than I...

AND it has on-street parking?! Aiy yi yi...

Well, walking for 2 miles is out of the question. I might actually consider the sidewalk (heretical on this board, and not something I'd usually say), provided it doesn't have 3" deep potholes, AND if there are not a lot of intersections, or pedestrians. It's not like you're making good time anyway. Any intersections should be handled like a pedestrian: stop and make sure it's okay to cross.

OR, as recommended, ride outside the door zone, even if cars do have to move out to get around you. Make sure you are dressed visibly, hi-vis and reflective if you've got it. (Consider getting some if you don't.)

If the car parking is pretty constant, try to keep a straight line instead of weaving in and out. If you come upon a long stretch of no parked cars, it's probably okay to move over into the parking lane at those points to allow more convenient passing, being extremely careful about moving back out well in advance, gradually, and with signals when you come upon more parked cars up ahead. Similarly, if cars begin backing up behind you while you are out in the lane, courtesy dictates you should try to find a safe place to pull over for a minute or so to let some go by. Hopefully it's not so congested that you can't find a gap to pull back into again afterwards.

For the left turn, don't force the issue if it seems unsafe. Is there a crosswalk in which you could dismount and walk across, when clear?

I don't see any real good options, but I think the sidewalk or outside the door zone are both better ones than inside the door zone. Not only could you get doored, the dooring could also knock you right into traffic, or you could swerve into traffic trying to avoid the door.

OR just find another route.

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited by JohnBrooking; 05-01-08 at 08:45 PM.