View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 06:42 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
A lot of the bubbling of "philosophical" stuff to the surface while the practical stuff sinks has to do with the name of the forum itself. There was discussion quite a while ago about this, and I said this forum should be called the Utility Cycling Forum. The self-appointed guru who "ran" the forum at that time disagreed. Then the Utility Cycling forum spun off, and the fragmentation has served neither very well.

The simple fact of the matter is that NO-ONE in the countries that BFs serves can possibly live car-free (drill down deeper than your own household to understand why). The naming is superficial in philosophical terms, and panders to the cyclist need to have some sort of social validation for the fact they ride a bicycle. Inevitably, the title Living Car Free gives no clue as to cycling as being the replacement for car-ownership, and rather invites the fundamentalists who hate cars to expound their theories.

I am sure that many people think they are taking up cycling to save the world. Most aren't. They are taking up cycling because it is convenient to them in terms of money, location, health and lifestyle simplicity. It's why we have people who want to be a part of this forum but say they are "car lite" or even admit to not owning a car but have two pick-ups!!!!

If you are living truly car-ownership-free, the discussion of peak oil and oil prices and motor vehicle costs is almost irrelevant, except for the impact it might have on the costs of consumer items and food. I wouldn't know a thing now about the price of fuel except for the constant ramming down our throats by the media of the automobile lobbies' rantings on it.

I maintain that this forum and the Utility Cycling Forum and maybe even Commuting should be reunited and go under the title of Utility Cycling. But of course, that would be too radical a move...