Old 05-02-08, 06:58 PM
tpreitzel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donob08
Tinylitim et al

I’ve had my first trauma with the eZip bike. This may be something worth checking on any eZip. After about 65 miles I noticed that the bike lost power, for an instant, when it hit a bump. When I looked around, I found that the spring loaded battery contact had misshapen plastic in its mount at the bottom of the battery rack. When I touched the contact it burnt my finger. The plastic had been melted. I had to disassemble the bottom of the rack, eight screws later I found the problem. The screw holding the power lead to the contact pin was very loose. The resistance to the high amp current had made lots of heat. The other contact’s lead was a little loose too. So were the two on the other side

I replaced the Phillips head screws with Socket Head (Allen Head)) Cap Screws so I could torque them and put Locktite on the threads, using care not to electrically insulate ring lug from contact. Re-assembly is a chore because you have to hold the contact spring compressed while you start the screw.

Things are a lot happier now. I called Currie. They are happy to send me (Free) a new RMB Battery Case Rack Port Wire Harness, Part No. BA2407-3, which apparently includes the cable and the contact with mount but they are ON HOLD, right now. They are apparently having a quality problem ;-). The one I fixed works. It’s just a little ugly for a new bike.
Right. In the other thread entitled, Wal-Mart E-Zip, we had a similar experience. Vibration and battery weight are an issue, but if you periodically tighten loose fittings, you'll be alright. For example, the weight of the packs sheared off ALL four connectors within 4 months (2 on each side) to the pins on the bottom of the racks. Yeah, Currie needs to make a few adjustments here and there with the E-Zip, but I hope any changes don't add much to the cost of the bike as it'll lose considerable appeal if the price goes beyond $400 retail. Overall, though, the E-Zip is a fine value and I just might buy another one if it goes on sale later this year.