View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 01:27 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by newb2008
Am I correct to interpret that by fat slicks you mean slicks measuring about 26" x 2'' (sorry I am still trying to learn the lingo )? Would 26" tires with a width around 1.375" do the trick or get me 'close enough' (i.e get close to the easier pedaling/less rolling resistance feel of a 700 cc X 38 tire as compared to a 26" X 2" tire)?

One of the guys I plan to occasionally ride with has a road bike...I know I won't be keeping up with him unless he slows down.

Thanks.
Here is the deal: "ON GOOD PAVED ROADS", the skinnier the tire, the higher the psi, and the less tread the tire has, the easier it is to pedal. That is the bottom line. Thus, for the highest efficiency in going long distances at high speeds on good pavement, you see the spandex crowd riding 700 cm skinny tires with no tread. You also see many (most?) serious commuters riding skinny, high PSI tires.

To me, a 2" wide slick is a silly thing. It says to me "oops, I bought a fat-tire bike when I should have bought a road bike, so I am trying to fix the mistake by putting slicks on my fat-tire bike."

I do think that a 26" skinny wheel has it's place on paved city riding where you face common situations of stop-go and fast-slow. For this kind of application, you don't need anything wider than 1.375" (and even that is an odd size in these modern times).

About your concern "One of the guys I plan to occasionally ride with has a road bike...I know I won't be keeping up with him unless he slows down.", there is one more factor which is more important than the bicycle and that is the rider. A strong rider can out-pedal a weak rider no matter what bicycles the two are riding. I have been on group rides where some young strapping dude on a fat-tire blows all the skinny tire riders away DESPITE the fact that the young strong dude has to pedal a lot harder per mile than the cats on lightweight machines. So, if your friend on the road bike has a pack of Marlborough in the glove compartment of his SUV and a Snickers bar in his pocket, you might be able to keep up with him in spite of his road bike.

Last edited by mike; 05-03-08 at 01:36 AM.