Old 05-03-08, 06:33 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.ihpva.org/FAQ/

I have a SWB/USS bent. As far as 2 vs 3 wheel..... I think that it is a general assumption that 3 wheelers are slower and heavier than 2 wheelers. You'll hear all kinds of arguments about this, but like I said, it is only a general assumption. 3 wheels is more rolling resistance and more components to add weight. But, I'm sure there are some out there lighter and faster than my 2 wheeler.

That said, it does take some getting used to when riding the 2-wheeler. My first week I was getting up so fast I was scaring the crap out of myself. Why? The steering geometry is different and 'twitchy' compared to my old road bike. With the front wheel basically right below your knees. The bent requires a very light touch - not the grip or resting of your upper body on it like a DF. I'm told that an OSS is less twitchy, but the geometry is still different.

A bent (regardless of make/style) will be heavier than a DF. But you can climb hills. Gearing is the key. But, you will be using a different muscle set so expect a learning/physical conditioning curve. With a trike, you can at least stop half-way up the hill and just rest in the seat without the hassle of balancing when you taking off again.

I'd recommend a trip to Sacramento (with some advance research) to a dealer or two where you can do some test riding. Try different type and styles and see what you actually like. Find what you like then look at Craig's List or other such places and maybe pick up a higher end used bike for what $$$ you have available. There are so many different brands and styles that everyone has their own preferences. I'll say just check out every one that you can.

Last edited by charly17201; 05-03-08 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added FAQ link and removed acronyms