View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 11:43 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I spent the day riding the Big Dummy with my friend Kurt. We decided to take his MTB to a LBS 15kms away for some serious overhauling. On the way we encountered snow and ice - yikes!

Everywhere we went the BD enjoyed lots of positive attention.

Originally Posted by yes
Vik, that is a sweet ride. I'm curious and too lazy to add it up. What was the final price tag (if you bought it all new)? It seems to me like a pretty perfect setup for a hard core utility bike.

Yes - my guess for the total cost of this BD is ~$3500, but I think you could build a totally serviceable Big Dummy for about 50% of that with a standard MTB drive train and less bling parts.

Originally Posted by TruckerMike
Vik, I've been following this build for weeks now - thanks for sharing. I think there's a lot of us "kicking the tires" on doing a rohloff-based project bike and it's been great to hear how it's been going, especially from CDN availability standpoint.

I look forward to hearing about how the BD enables you day-to-day. I'm still struggling w/bob trailer+std bike vs. dummy in my mind.

Hope the calgary spring warms up for ya!

Mike
Mike - I have to say I am really impressed so far in the utility department and simply how much fun the BD is to ride around. I have a BOB and think it is a good trailer, but the BD is far more versatile.

If you want to explore the whole idea you could add an Xtracycle to your MTB for a reasonable cost and either you'll be totally satisfied and not want a BD or you can get a BD and use 80% of the Xtracycle kit on your BD and sell the Free Radical separately.