Old 05-04-08, 12:48 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ernok1923
maybe this is a better photo of the fork.

Mmmkay...so you do have posts.

All right, have you tried installing them yet and at what point are you hung up?

Most all cantis have a similar coil spring. The shorter bend goes in the hole in the boss, the larger end holds the arm sprung away from the wheel, resisting the pull of the lever and cable. Take a close look at the spring and assemble it lightly on the brake stud. Once you've hooked the long end on the brake arm, spring pressure should increase as you move the arm and pad closer to the wheel. Also, the spring should be coiling tighter, not expanding. There will be a Left and a Right spring, and if they're mixed up, the coil will expand, not coil tighter. On cantis with a plastic shroud protecting the spring from dirt, reversed springs can break the shroud. Swap them if they're wrong.

I really wish I had a set of those in front of me. No doubt any missing parts would be apparent and I and others could talk you through it. Don't get frustrated, there's only one way they'll go together and work right. Keep at it and you'll either get it or discover something is preventing it from working correctly.