operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by milnerpt
So with the help of the local used bike store's free rack, Ive accumulated some old wheels to practice some hub overhauls. I think I have a method down pretty well, but even have a few questions after consulting my texts:

Does it really matter which side of the hub you remove with your cone wrenches on the rear hub, or doesnt it matter as long as you dont move the othrside for spacing purposes?

After pulling the guts out, I typically end up using some diluted degreaser on the axle/cones, and saturate inside the hub/racers and wipe it as clean as I can get (then dry it out). I know I should just usenew bearings, but have been just cleaning them as well.

I use phil wood (the green grease) on the axle, fill the racers maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the way with grease and pop the bearings in there

(now the big question) So reassembling and tightening the cones is the important thing in my head. I hand thread on the cone, then use the cone wrench to make it tight enough so there is no lateral play, and spins nice n smooth. The problem I have, is when I put the spacers back on, then the last nut, to tighen the nut with the cone - I have been using my cone wrench and the appropriate wrench on the nut, and turn the nut onto the cone. Problem is, it also ends up turning the cone a little, loosening it. Should I be trying to tighten that last nut by using a wrench with the OTHER side nut, to avoid that cone from loosening?
If the adjustment is a tiny bit too loose after you've done everything else - it's easy to fix. 2, 17mm cone wrenches on both locknuts and turn 'em in just a tiny bit.

QR hubs should have a tiny bit of play in them for it to not be too tight when on the bike. Not true for non-qr hubs. Subtle, but important difference.