View Single Post
Old 05-04-08, 04:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
I'm getting back into cycling after too many years of 50's sloth. I'm building up a bike to teach myself wrenching and make it thoroughly my own. Either a sweet, used-to-be-new De Rosa or a Habanero frame.

My question: I currently ride with a Nitto noodle bar...I like the flat ramps behind the hoods with the hooks at the bottom still almost just above parallel to the road. (I don't like rotating bars so far upward to get flat ramps that riding the then steeply angled drops is uncomfortabe.)

Is there an alloy, 26.0 clamp anatomic bar anyone knows of that comes close to what I want? (I realize the trend wave in bars/stems is way past my intended build. But I like the look and versatililty of traditional quilled stems and don't find threaded headsets a problem.

Thanks....I've learned a ton here at Fifty Plus and gotten enough inspiration to keep me going into my 80's. I never thought getting back in shape could also be so much fun.
Hi, Velo. I use a Noodle, a Randonneur, a B115, and a Ritchey Biomax II. I like all of the first three fairly evenly. The Ritchey is a true anatomic. If I tilt it far enough down to get my wrist angle comfortable while on the contoured drop area, the top ramp, which I wanted to be flat, must be angled down pretty far, maybe 30 degrees. I don't see yet how to place my Ergos for best reach, but suffice to say I am in a bit of a quandary.

I think I want to go to an FSA bar with curved hooks to ease the reach, but that requires a 31.6 mm mount, which requires a modern threadless stem, which requires a quill to threadless adapter!!!

In the modern market, the best design flexibility is no longer with quill stems!!!

Frustrated,

Road Fan