mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bragi
I just watched this film, and, despite its Pollyanna-like tone, sorta liked it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwwxrWHBB8&NR=1
Wow, the Netherlands looks so peaceful with everybody walking and riding bicycles. The street scenes look like something from a fairytale. I wonder if life really is like that in the Netherlands.

One thing they mention in the film is that the average rider travels 7 kilometers in 30 minutes. That is 14 kilometers per hour = less than 9 miles per hour! WOW, that really is a slow pace. I don't think people in the USA can even think that slow much less bicycle that slow. No wonder they are riding around in wool instead of Spandex.

Now, I understand why they ride those big gas-pipe frame bicycles with bathtub sized baskets on their bicycles. At 9 miles per hour, you can just about pedal a mobile home around town.

So, we can understand that it is peaceful in bicycle paradise, but you still better leave for work early because the slow traffic is going to be a problem.

Still, it is encouraging to see a country where automobiles do not rule supreme. The place sure does seem to be comfortable without automobiles zooming around and making noise.