Old 05-05-08, 08:16 AM
Little-Acorn

Bikes: '72 Schwinn Sports Tourer, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '79 Schwinn Twinn Sport 10sp tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Onegun
WHOA! Good eyes, jgg3! The real wheel is just about out of the dropout! DO NOT ride this bike again without moving that wheel back where it belongs! You'll probably find it necessary to loosen the band clamp attaching the drum brake arm to the chainstay in order to do this.

Boy, memories, though! Did the guy have the clear map case that snapped on top of that old Cannondale h'bar bag?
Actually that pic, and the closeups, were from the seller's picture he sent me before I came to see it. Since then he had pulled the rear wheel and replaced the tube, and put it back properly, seated far back into the dropouts, no problem. Great catch, though, jgg3 - I never noticed that in the picture.

Yes, the Cannondale bag does have the original clear map holder, which he dug out of a drawer as I watched. It's not quite so clear now as it was probably 20 years ago, but hey, it works, and fits.

And I just found out that I do happen to have a couple of new Continental Ultra Sport 27x1-1/8 clincher tires sitting around, all 116 psi of them. What a happy coincidence. Course, I've heard that they need to be on rims that are slightly bent inward where they clinch the tire bead, or else they'll take off for the moon when they go above 100 psi. I have no idea if the rims on this bike are like that. They are chromed steel, and the seller said they are the original rims that came with the bike. Guess I'll find out when I pull them. I may eventually replace them with alloys, if I can find the right kind for gentle riding on a tandem.

I sure hope these rims aren't the notorious "Schwinn only" rims that Schwinn came up with some time in the 60s or 70s, whose 27" diameter wasn't quite the same as the 27" diameter as anyone else's wheels, and so you had to buy all your tires at the Schwinn shop. If they are, they're history.