Old 05-05-08, 08:34 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
It is interesting to note that some collectors are still seeing bicycles from the 1970's as "too new".

A bicycle from 1970 is 30 years old. Ya, that's right; 1978 was 38 years ago! It doesn't seem that long ago, but bikes from the 19-- anything are from the last millennium.

To put it in perspective, when I started collecting bicycles in the 1980's, a bike 38 years old would have been from the 1950's. THOSE were considered very collectible bikes in the 1980's.

About ten years ago, I suggested that people start collecting the bikes from the 1970's as they were going to the landfills literally by the truckloads. Today, I feel a little better knowing that bicycles are going to recycling rather than landfills, but the good bikes are getting to be rare.

As pointed out in some of the other posts, we are seeing fewer nice bikes from the '70's on the market and those that are available are bringing in values well over $100+.

Now may be the last opportunity to grab the remaining beautiful bicycles made in the USA, England, France, Italy, and even Japan.

Your premise is good, but you need to work on your math skills.

Lynn Travers

Photos