View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 03:07 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a similar note...2 weeks ago a dog escaped from my sister, a pert sitter. As a favor to her I drove around the area putting up fliers. I came across a DOT worker putting up a sign. Since it was right near where the dog got loose and he'd obviously be there a while, I decided to ask him to keep an eye out. I walked over and the conversation went something like this:

"Hi. I'm trying to find a lost dog. Can you help me out? I'd like to leave this flier with you; if you see the dog please call the number on the flier."

"You can't hang anything on a DOT sign."

(A little confused by that response)"I'm not asking to put a flier on your sign. I'm just asking you to keep an eye out for this dog and call the number on the flier if you see him."

"I can't hold the flier."

"I'm just going to lay it right here on the back of your truck next to your tools in case you see him."

"I don't work here, I work in Garner." (A town about half an hour away).

I gave up at this point and walked away without leaving the flier.

I told this story to my friend Dan the next day. He's president of the local bike/ped advisory committee to NCDOT. His response was, "Now imagine dealing with an entire department made of people like that."

edit: I just realized, it's like the old joke about the 3 biggest lies you'll ever hear. One is: "I'm from the government; I'm here to help you."