Old 05-06-08, 10:06 PM
kenshinvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jalopy Jockey
My only question / concern was if the swapping a single with a tandem if it would be that much different, since I had no experience with a tandem until our time in a LBS parking lot yesterday. I was looking for people who have tried it and their experiences. I should have expected typical internet feedback everyone is an expert. Kenshinvt not saying your point is not taken as you have actually used the tandem and TAB set up. We'll be looking for that double TAB in a year or two, once the youngest is old enough. I chose your post to quote in my response as it was extensive with multiple points.
oh, in that case, if you are trying to decide on going for the tandem considering your circumstances, go for it! The only issue I see you having is what to do until the oldest can comfortably fit on the back of it. Time will remedy that even if you have difficulty right now. A tandem does make a huge difference compared to pulling a tagalong bike, from my personal experiences. I would say the tandem feels like riding a long-wheelbase bike rather than pulling a swervy trailer. If you can eliminate a pivot-attachment, go for it.

Originally Posted by Jalopy Jockey
I still don't see what length of ride (miles not bike) has to do with anything though. It is more the characteristics of the route that provide the challenges that I've experience and you list. I'm typically done with sharp turns within a mile, traffic within 5 and then a u turn happens when we choose to be halfway done. Usually at a MUT parking lot or rest area. The only challenge distance makes is there regardless of setup. My neighbor considers a 10 mile ride down an MUT to be an an epic adventure. I've pulled both kids that the last 2 nights.
All I was getting at is how small nuances are amplified with increased distance. For example, if you have a hard and uncomfortable seat it might be just fine if you are doing a 10 mile ride down to the park. However, increase that distance to 50 miles and you will suffer. Similarly, the sloppy handling of having multiple pivots and attachments is not ideal if you have the option of putting a tandem (or triplet) in the mix and improving the handling. This is really hard to convey on a message forum. I'd suggest going for another test ride or otherwise getting some more saddle time on the tandem and I think you will understand what I'm getting at. Also on the route characteristics you've mentioned--that's all fine and good if you have a short, predictable route and do not vary from it. If you ride in new (unknown) places, however, this is a concern worth thinking about.