View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 03:55 AM
sprockets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
OK, I said I didn't have a budget, but $2k is definitely more than I want to spend.

Let's set a temporary $1k budget and see where we go from there.
From what I've read you're just looking for something cheap, that packs and rides okay, right? The Dahon Impulse is a good solution. It's nothing fancy but it's light and rides well. I'm 6'3" and over 200 lbs and it's a bit small for me but my gf is 5'6" and she likes it.

Since you live in Toronto I have a solution for you. You could go to Uncle Jacobs at 355 Spadina; he is selling a folding bike called an Avenir (it's a Dahon Impulse rebranded for Raleigh.) I have one that I keep at my office for lunch time rides. It's a basic 6 speed with cheaper shimano and promax parts. It rides fairly well and I'd have no problem covering 5-10 km on it at a time. It'd make a nice way to explore a city if you're travelling, it's fairly light and at Uncle Jacobs they cost about $300. I actually got moine for $250 from him so there might even be some wiggle room there. Anyway there I have seen a set of step by step instructions for packing this exact bike into a standead Samsonite suitcase, just like a Bike Friday.

this isn't the one I was thinking of, but it works too.

http://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/pack.htm

Another option for you is the Tikit from Bike Friday. I've never ridden one but if it's close to my Bike Friday Pocket Llama it'll run circles around the Avenir and it folds in something like 5 seconds. I'm not sure how it packs either. Last time I was at Urbane they had a few "Toronto" models that were made sopecifically for Urbane cycle and they were selling for $999 IIRC

If you decide on the Avenir, you should know that they are brand new in the box and you'll need to take it in to get tuned up. I took it to Urbane Cycles on John st. just north of Queen st. and get the $70 tune up. They'll check the bearings, adjust the deraillers etc. That tune up is what validates the warranty with the manufacturer so it's important. Also, be careful to check your bike BEFORE you leave Urbane. Make sure it folds correctly still and rides properly. I've taken my bike there twice and the service wasn't the best. I know that they have some very experienced people there but they obviously didn't work on my bike. The reason I Went Urbane is because they also sell Dahons, Bromptons, Bike Fridays, and Avenirs.

You could also try Bayview Cycle On Bayview just north of the 401. They also sell Avenirs so they would be familiar with them too. I've never had any bikes serviced there but I went there for a sale on winter gear (30% off!) and the owner was very nice, not at all pushy, seemed very knowledgable and friendly. I guess they have been there for over 30 years too, not too shabby! I know that I will be sending more of my business their way.

Last edited by sprockets; 05-07-08 at 04:43 AM.