View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 06:29 AM
BikeGuitarist
rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from The Bicycling Guitarist

Hello all.

I am known for riding a Schwinn ten-speed bicycle while simultaneously playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar. I have done this tens of thousands of miles the past thirty years, all on the same bicycle: a 1977 Schwinn Sportabout (sort of like a cross between a Varsity and a Continental).

This bicycle is bulletproof. It may be heavier than most road bikes (especially today's), but that actually helps my stability as I ride with no hands playing guitar. The guitar also helps my stability. It increases my moment of inertia the way a balance pole does for a high wire artist. Sitting upright instead of crouched over the handlebars like a hunchback also means I can enjoy the scenery more without straining my neck, and I can turn my head easier to look around me.

I say that I "ride the guitar while playing the bicycle." For me, this is a meditation in motion. Feel free to check out The Bicycling Guitarist web site, or the section dedicated to my beloved Schwinn "Sportinental" (visit the web site to see why I call it that, lol).

I am in the process of converting my web site to a content management system to make it more interactive so people can leave comments, add content, etc. I have browsed Bike Forums off and on over the years, but I just joined tonight after finding a post in Google about how the Cateye LD1100 can be screwed to a rear rack like I use to carry my battery-powered amplifier (thanks tsl). My current bicycle lights are also Cateye but date from 2003. I am upgrading so I can ride safer at night this summer. I plan to ride and play a LOT!

Email me if you visit my web site and have any comments. I hope to get the improvements done soon so people can post their comments and content directly. Namaste
TBG