Old 05-07-08, 09:58 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My folder on the platform of an old station

Monday just gone was a Bank Holiday here and for once I was not working.

My local (unmanned) railway station is about ½ a mile from home but for some time I had been wanting to see how long and how much effort it would take to get to the main station at Hooton just in case there is a problem with the track locally.

I was up early and the weather was good…. It took me 12 minutes to cover the 3.5 miles to the station on roads that aren’t what I’d call flat.

The other reason for going to Hooton was to check out the start of the Wirral Way which is a trail that follows the route of the old railway track to West Kirby.

I rode as far as the old station at Hadlow Road which has been restored to exactly as it was in 1953.
Bike in the photo is my 20” wheel Titan mountain folder. I fitted a new saddle (SDG Bell Air RT) the day before and I’m pleased to say it is rather comfortable. Total distance was around 10 miles which just happens to be the furthest I’ve been on a push bike for 29 years. I’m now eager to do the whole of the Wirral Way.

Regards,

Paul

Ps, photo was taken with mobile phone.