View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 02:06 PM
dustyone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piette
Also is it possible that perhaps you just weren't enjoying road cycling as much as you thought you might and subconsciously your friends unfortunate passing is a way to stop without admitting you just didn't enjoy it? Don't take it the wrong way, as their is nothing wrong with not enjoying road cycling, it is not for everybody and we all have the things we do and do not enjoy. I have found myself unknowingly doing this in my past, a chosen career path that I just did not like after investing a good bit of money into it, I came up with a reason to not do it anymore. A few years later after thinking about it, it was purely because I felt guilty just leaving that career field after spending a good bit of money on it, and the reason was just an excuse I came up with in my mind to cover up the real reason.

Either way, I know exactly what you are saying about wanting a bike to just hop on and go. I have a '08 Trek Pilot 5.0, it's a carbon fiber bike and has SPD pedals and shoes and I wear all the special shorts and such, it's a real ordeal to go for a ride everyday. So I bought an '08 7.3 FX to just hop on and go with my wife and kids, nothing special at all, just a couple water bottles and a computer. It is very enjoyable to just put the kickstand up and ride.

Jeff
I know of him through another addiction...RC car racing. It was more than a couple years ago through another RC buddy in Osh Kosh. No idea as to his age, but I'm guessing not old enough to be your father(?)
This has been a healthy and enlightening discussion. I indeed know what HTFU means and I'm quite versed in PCAD's lingo...he seems like a decent, honest guy despite all the fray.
Mr. Piette you have more than likely uncovered a great truth about my cycling desire. While my friend's death bothers me greatly, I could certainly do without road biking again, and I think your last post recognizes that. I admit, I still scan Versus daily for cycling on TV and love the roadie/European culture, but at the end of the day, I really just want to ride a bike...a very nice bike mind you, but a bike nonetheless. The money or loss of investment on bike sell-offs doesn't bother me much and I'm sure I'll take a couple hundred loss on my carbon roadie..but it'll sure help in my search of finding a nice urban/HTMB type rig.

Thanks for your opinions.
Do the names Koback, Mentzel or Makus sound familiar?

dk