View Single Post
Old 05-09-08, 11:04 PM
Catweazle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Not sure you would want to go to this much trouble, but in Seattle the Cascade Club (which sponsors hundreds of rides) has very detailed definitions on their website for ride rankings.

There are 7 classifications of "pace"; 7 different definitions of "hilly", and warning that on "hilly" rides participants should choose one class lower than they normally do.

Further, ride leaders also specify whether they regroup or not to wait for stragglers, and also whether the ride will be canceled on account of weather.

http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Ride_Classifications.cfm

My assumption is that they have gone to this level of effort because no one can agree on terms like "casual" or "serious", so they spell it out for ride leaders and participants alike.

But, for what's it worth, I don't think anyone who goes on "casual" ride ought to complaint that it's too slow!
Thoroughly agree with that. The level of detail and breadth of 'ratings' isn't so important as the fact of some degree of indication about what is required. But you DO need some degree of indication. And whilst people shouldn't be going and then complaining about it being too slow, people also should be aware that they have to be up to the ride.

My Sunday Afternoon group, for example, is wholly and solely 'casual' social ride. But the numbers are still provided, for the benefit of all potential participants:
  • A ride speed not exceeding 20-23kph, as far as is possible.
  • Rest stops every 10 km (or sooner if windy/hilly conditions demand) for regrouping.
  • Designated lead rider for the duration of outing, whom nobody is permitted to pass except by arrangement and agreement.
  • SAG wagon to remain behind slowest rider at all times.

The quantification there isn't excessive, and isn't treated/considered as rigid absolutes. It simply provides a guide, by removing a good degree of potential confusion.

Retro Grouch nailed it methinks. Feedback was sought, feedback was given, and now that feedback needs to be put to good use