Old 05-10-08, 01:39 PM
Nihilistic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Numbnuts!

Hi!

I decided to switch to a road bike, and recently bought a Giant OCR3. I've been cycling a while now to lose weight and get fit. I'm one of those unfortunate folks that is destined to fight the battle of the bulge for life. I've lost over 100 lbs using weight-loss drugs, only to regain most of it. This time, I'm doing it through calorie-counting, sensible nutrition, and hard work (cycling and lifting weights). I've dropped from an all time high of 360 lbs, to my current weight of 288 lbs.

I've calculated that by riding 21 miles a day at an average speed of 16+ MPH, I can burn over 2,000 calories in a workout. Which allows me to eat between 1500-2500 calories a day, and keep the scale moving consistently downward.

This brings me to my problem. Since I've increased my rides from 10 miles a day to 21 miles a day, I've been experiencing some numbness in my genitals I spend most of my ride with my hands in the drops to cheat the wind as much as possible, and this was causing the saddle to put painful pressure on my testicles. I tilted the saddle down a notch, and the next ride was much more comfortable while riding in the drops. But, I've noticed some persistent numbness, even after taking a couple of days off from riding.
Is this just a fact of life cyclists must live with? Or am I in danger of doing serious harm to my manhood? I'd hate to reach my weight goal of a well-muscled 199 lbs, only to be a eunich I'm using the stock saddle that came with the bike, a Selle Royal Viper.