View Single Post
Old 05-11-08, 04:21 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgoat
I use an old rigid mtb for my 6-mile commute on fairly rough city roads.

Last fall I sensed my 15 year old Selle Italia Turbo was going mushy (felt it squishing up into the soft tissues) so I threw a new Brooks Swift onto the bike.

I like the width of the Brooks (I have wide sit bones, about 130 to 140mm, depending which assometer you believe) and I actually use it on my racing and touring road bikes with padded bibs.

On the commuter, the stiffness is nice for climbing the 59th st. bridge and surging through an intersection when necessary, but it is rather too hard when riding over bumps and crevices in the road (I don't wear padded shorts when commuting).

I was going to go back to a new Turbo.....I was always worried about the Brooks getting rain soaked, stolen, or ruined by constantly grabbing it to maneuver a 30 pound loaded bike in and out of buildings on a daily basis.

Does anyone else have these concerns for a new Brooks, or do you beat 'em up on a utility bike?
If you have wide sit-bones, you might really enjoy the Brooks "S" models. They are a little "S"horter and wider.

Just look at this gorgeous Brooks B-67 S saddle. It is so lovely and so comfortable. I like the springs which take a lot of the jarring out of a ride on a stiff road bike.

Honestly, when I go out to hop on my bike, it gives me great joy to see that rich leather saddle just shining and greeting me. The first thing I do is put my hand on that smooth leather and joyfully prepare for my ride. The steel frame is cold and hard. The drive train can be filthy. The tires dark and aggressive. But the saddle is always a source of loveliness and welcoming comfort like the reclining leather chair in my living room.

Such a warm, beautiful, comfortable leather saddle is a great way to start my day on the commute to work and it is a calming lovely way to end my work day on the commute home.

Last edited by mike; 05-11-08 at 04:32 AM.