Old 05-12-08, 12:47 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by My Dad
DO NOT buy the Kent Ultralite folder. It is a completely cheap and cheap looking bike.

Do NOT buy the Dahon Boardwalk It is a single speed and is very heavy. And if you are under 6'0" you will find it terribly uncomfortable and annoying since the handle bar and stem are one piece of metal and cannot be lowered to be leveV with the seat position.

Dahon D7 is what you want.
Originally Posted by nekohime
Well, I have the Kent Ultralite, and I agree that it is cheap. Cheap components, cheap everything. It's not so cheap looking though--most people who are not in the know estimate it at 350+. When I say I got it for $150, their jaws drop. And well, it was the only thing I could afford at the time, and it serves its purpose. I like it well enough, but if I had more money I'd definitely gloss over this one.

The Dahon Boardwalk has a 6-speed version. The single-speed isn't that good for LA and our hills, but if you feel masochistic, or if your commute is in a relatively flat area, then it's perfectly fine.
I really cannot comment on the Kent since I actually never even seen one in person. The Boardwalk S1 is another matter. It is true that it is only a single speed, but it comes complete stocked with geared or paired with the right sized chainring/cog for managing the rolling hills around Los Angeles somewhat. I have had mine for almost 5 years now. I did "cheat" and converted the drivetrain to a 3 speed which can handle the hills surrounding my house with ease (and I am 50 years old!). My stem is non adjusting but that is fine with me since it is something I don't have to readjust it to the prefered level over and over again. And it is made of steel making it stronger and longer lasting than aluminum. I would recommend to look at the more enclosed type of hubs with internal gears or single speed since for the smaller wheel folding bikes, there is less chance of damage lke with the derailleur sticking out-or down rather-type of bike. My original advice still stands about having the novice folding bike owner test riding as many bikes as he/she can.