View Single Post
Old 05-12-08, 10:24 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ledhed
I recently bought a used Rans Rocket. I have a few questions about this bike.

1. Should the handlebars lock in place?
There is an aluminum pivot with a clamp at the bottom of the handlebar stem. The clamp will lock down tight but the handlebars will still move back and forth. I'm may try putting a thin shim between the bars and the clamp and see if it locks.

2. Will the earlier models hold the same weight?
The 2008 model lists the maximum weight at 275 lbs., coincidentally where I am right now.
The frame is all red with all round tubing. I tried downloading some information from Rans website but the .pdf file was corrupted and wouldn't open. If anyone could steer me to a site I could get a manual I'd appreciate it.

3.Are there any special concerns about maintenance?
The bike is in good shape is there anything special to a recumbent I should look at before riding it? My cousin jumped on it and took off around the block before I could stop him and it seems like everything worked fine.

Thanks.

Pat.
The handle bars don't lock in place - they are designed to fold, but you can adjust how close they come towards you before they stop. I have no idea about the weight ratings of earlier models, but I doubt it has changed recently - the Rocket is an old and proven design. There are no special maintenance needs. If it is shifting and braking properly just lube the chain occasionally and ride it.

I had a Rocket in my fleet for a while....really fun bent - enjoy yours....