Old 05-13-08, 07:37 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
They don't get hot. I've been using one in winter for the past three or four years.

I wear one below 32f. On the rare occasions I feel hot from it, I pull it down around my neck. I use neck gaiters on the days I can't find my mask. Neck gaiters don't keep the wind out, unless you're using windstopper or similar. I've also found that neck gaiters cause my glasses to fog more than the neoprene ski mask.
I use a fleece neck gaitor down to -10degF pretty comfortably. Neoprene just doesn't breathe. I get super sticky and nasty underneath, whether it's sweat or condensation, and it feels pukey.

Found a nice one at Dick's actually, it's a fleece balaclava, but it has a shaped nose like a Ski Mask, so it doesn't get uncomfortable.

I've seen some that even have mesh where the mouth goes, which would probably be a good idea.

I usually use the gaitor more for my neck and cheecks anyways, because I hate the obstruction over my airways.

Guess I don't really need it with windstopper

Oh yeah, and I don't wear glasses in the winter since I'm travelling in the dark.