Thread: Looong Chains
View Single Post
Old 05-13-08, 09:37 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have an idea for a fix, I drew a picture in "paint" on my computer but forums won't let me post it....so I'll try to describe it.

It's basically floating pulleys', kind of the reverse of the phantom Cog, which pushes out on the chain, and kind of like double up of the pulley system on an old school tandem, which took up the chain slack there.

Phantom Pulleys would sit on the outside of the chain, and would pinch the chain inwards using a spring connecting the two pulleys, thus giving better wrap around on the cog. One pulley would rest above the chain above the chainstay, and the other pulley would sit below the chain below the chainstay. the spring would pull the two together. It may need to be anchored to the chainstay, by a short cable, to prevent it from wandering forwards or backwards.

If you wanted to go fixie, or if you have a coaster brake, then you would probably need one with a solid bar connecting the 2 pulleys, rather than a spring, so as to prevent the slop when braking.