View Single Post
Old 05-14-08, 09:31 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I ride the shoulder on four highways where the posted speed is 55 mph.
The Dinotte is not overkill on these highways.
I too do about half of my riding commuting along a state highway with posted speed limits ranging from 35 to 55 mph, the majority of which is 55 mph. I wear the best reflective vest money can buy (Amphipod), use the best tail light (DiNotte), have reflector tape between every spoke, two reflectors on each wheel, and reflector tape on my fenders. On the front I use the DiNotte on the bars, and a Fenix L2D Premium Q5 on the helmet, as well as I have and frequently use an Airzound horn. I am very concerned about conspicuity, and I happen to have a budget where I can afford what I have.

55 mph = approx. 81 feet per second. The farther away they can see me, the better for me.

The PBSF is a great tail light. If I had a very limited budget, that's what I'd get. Also, if I were touring I'd probably use a SF because the batteries last significantly longer. However, I picked up my DiNotte for $100 on sale, and I use it for commuting, so battery life is insignificant. For what I use it for, it is worth every penny!