Old 05-15-08, 07:21 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JugglingTye
Hey everyone. I must say first and foremost that this forum is truly inspiring. Many people are actually doing something to better their health and live happier... which unfortunately seems to be a rarity. I also like the idea of having a forum dedicated to those just like me. (Of which I have just learned the term... Clydesdale. heh)

I'm just a baby in the riding world and just got a hand-me-down sort of bike from a good friend I juggle with. Apparently it's been in his basement for... 18 years now? He bought it for 280$ in 1990. It's a black hard rock, specialized. After cleaning off the dust, it seems to be in excellent condition, not a scratch anywhere. Everything is original and he said he rode it less than 10 times.

So, I suppose... questions.
Is it better to keep an old bike? Have advancements in bikes been dramatic enough that I should shell out the money for a new one? Or, should I take it to a bike shop get a tune-up and carefully inspect the tires to see if I need new ones after this long of no-use?

The tires/rims of course look very good, seemingly no wear on the tread and no cracks that I can see. It holds air just fine, seemingly.

Some tire questions. When buying new tires... The rim's say 26x1.75 / 599. Is this a max that the rim will take? A "live chat tech" on the sponsored tire site (nashbar.com) said that I should get Continental Town & Country ATB tires that are 26x1.9 . Isn't this greater than what it says on my rim? Am I misunderstanding the numbers? heh Additionally, do other people have experience with these tires, are they good?
Or, another question that popped up... Because I'm overweight... Should i keep my tires near their max psi?

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't know exactly whether the bike will support my weight. The tires (back especially) flatten a bit when I'm riding, but the tires aren't at their max psi right now... and it's all 18 year old materials. Would the continental Town & Country tires be more appropriate for a Clydesdale? What makes a better tire for a clydesdale, wider tires? High Max Psi tires?

I'm sorry to barrage you guys (and gals) with questions right fromt he get-go but I'm eager to get on the road and you guys seemed very kind-hearted.

Anyways! I Hope to hear from you guys soon, and get to know you better through the forums,
Jugglingtye
First of all a dumb question is only the question that is never asked.....

A decent bike shop can probably get it in decent shape for about $50 or so, plus any parts that may be needed, count on tires, tubes and brake pads at a minimum, they may want to rebuild hubs, headset and bottom bracket, because the lube in the bearings has turned to goo, this is reasonable.

Even if it costs $100 out the door, if you find that cycling isn't for you, then your out $100 instead of the $400 for a decent entry level bike. If you find that you like cycling, then you can look for the bike you really want, which will be different dependent on the type of riding you find yourself doing.

Okay, rims, check those numbers again, most 26" rims would use 559 not 599 which is the wheel diameter in millimeters, if your rims are 1.75" wide, then you want a tire that is wider then 1.75" unless your frame is very narrow, then 1.95" would work fine. However if you are riding on the road you want a tire that is smooth, knobby tires are great in snow and mud, but not on the road. Yeah, keep tires near the max PSI rating, and they should squish down a little, that's the magic of pneumatic tires, but not a lot.