Old 05-15-08, 10:53 PM
4cmd3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
V-Brake Bosses - Avid v-brakes don't fit???

I have two bikes from the same manufacturer, and originally both bikes had the same brake model fitted.
On bike #1, I upgraded to some Avid SD Ultimate v-brakes and used them for some time.

Now I want to move those Avid v-brakes to bike #2...
However, when I tried to fit them, it is painfully obvious that they will not fit those v-brake bosses.
But they fit bike #1 just fine.

It is not a question of "use a block of wood and hit it with a hammer"... while I do not own a caliper measuring tool, it is clear that the brakes do not even begin to fit onto the bosses.

So are there subtle variations in v-brake boss sizes??? Is it a question of one size vs. another, or is it just production variances or different boss manufacturers?

Am I likely to be able to take the bike to my LBS and have them install slightly smaller ones.
(alternatively I guess I could just hand them the brakes & bike and pay them to "Make it work"... )

I think someone would have to file down the existing bosses if they are going to work. Or maybe use a heat gun to heat up the v-brake barrel and THEN use a block of wood & hammer + lube!

Anyway, I would certainly appreciate your advice. Thanks!

PS. bosses on both bikes are clean, lightly greased, free of paint, etc etc.