twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Those tunnels appear to have internal lighting equivalent or close to daylight.
Aaron
I lived in Chattanooga for a dozen years. I often drove the Brainerd Road tunnel, but am not familiar with the Stringer's Ridge tunnel. I cycled to a meeting just on the other side of Missionary Ridge at the mouth of the Brainerd Road tunnel. But,I rode Shallowford Road over the top of the Ridge. It was a little longer with more climbing, but much safer for cycling than Brainerd Road, which I regard as too narrow with too much traffic moving too fast for safe cycling. There is a pedestrian sidewalk on one side of each tunnel section. I would not want to ride on it, but it is possible and very safe to walk a bike through those tunnels.

The photo makes it appear that the tunnels are well lit, almost like daylight. In reality, they are not lit as brightly as daylight. You notice quite a difference when you enter the tunnels, especially given that you can see full daylight at the end of the tunnel. That is not shown in the photo. The daylight is bright enough that most things in the tunnel appear in near silhouette.