Old 05-17-08, 10:03 PM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kostyap
JPMARTINEAY. I don't know the Norco, but if it's suitable for touring and you feel well holding its handlebars, it should be on your short list. After all, nothing is more important (apart from the bike not failing) than being comfortable.

Here's the link for Norco Quest Touring"

http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/cycl...st_touring.php

Seems to qualify on first glance. Surly's probably very expensive, so is Marioni although tht one looks like a dream.
The norco looks fine. I see two potential issues: The gearing which isn't low enough. As Bwgride said, you better swap it to something bigger in the back and smaller in the front. The other issue is the lack of rack mounts on the fork. I can't see too clearly but it seems that the Norco only has the braze-on for the the fenders. As many people mentioned in many threads, Old Man Mountain have a few models that can circumvent that problem.

<rant>The Surly's street price in Montreal is 1200$ - not 950$ as in the US. Seems like at least one bike distributor is pocketing the difference and not updating the price regarding the dollar parity. I imagine the price in Toronto should be relatively similar to that of Montreal. We pay too much for everything up here. Even Arkel products which are made 150km away from Montreal in Sherbrooke (Lennoxville) are less expensive for US customers that for Canadian Customers. I find that a bit insulting.</rant>

The Marinoni is probably more expensive, they usually are. Good bikes though.