View Single Post
Old 05-18-08, 12:33 AM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38... 50...42...

Another one of the list. Well... two off the list, really.
Yeah, I have a list. Don't you?

Somewhere along the line, I knew I wanted to ride to -and across- the Golden Gate Bridge, starting from my house.
And I wanted to ride down Alexander Road into Sausalito.
But you have to go across the bridge to get to Alexander Road, so why not do both at the same time.
Today, I did just that. 42 miles, end-to-end. I think I'm on to something.

Man, it's been so hot here for the last couple of days. I really wasn't looking forward to this but it was supposed to start cooling off a bit today. As it turns out, the ride started off under clear, blue, warm skies but by the time I hit the bridge to come back home, oh how things had changed. The ride home was under cold, windy, foggy skies. It felt pretty good actually.

Heading up JFK drive in Golden Gate Park.

Oh, give me a home. The buffalo paddock in GG Park.

The Giant returns home. This is a great shop. I was talking to one of the folks who work here and said the idea was to go down into Sausalito but I was a little concerned about the ride back up. I've driven along Alexander Road many times and, in my mind, it was a beast... long and steep. So, anyway, she says to me, "No, you can totally do it. If you can ride here from your house, Alexander Road is totally doable. it's kind of long but you get to the top and you feel like you've accomplished something. You should totally go for it". Easy for her to say, she's young. I can tell she's young because she said "totally" 3 times in one sentence"

So, off I go... heading down Arguello to the Presidio. Right at the end (by the church you see) it takes a nasty kick up for a block. I've done this stretch, now, 3 or 4 times and kind of have it figured out. I went up a gear, got out of the saddle and danced on up.

Made it, no prob...

You've seen this shot before but with my bike in it and no sailboats.
Turns out, this spot is called Inspiration Point. I didn't know that. For me, today, it's well named.

What a beauty. I can look at this all day long.
In the foreground is the approach to the bridge, Doyle Drive, aka, Deadly Doyle Drive.